Ali Mousavi is a Pourdavoud Research Scholar and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Iranian Archaeology in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures. He studied in Lyon, France, and took his B.A. in Art History, and his M.A. in Archaeology from the University of Lyon, France. He obtained his Ph.D. in Near Eastern archaeology from the University of California, Berkeley. He excavated in France, Turkey, and Iran, and contributed to the nomination of a number of archaeological sites and monuments on the World Heritage List of UNESCO. He is the author of a book on the site of Persepolis (Persepolis: Discovery and Afterlife of a World Wonder), and co-editor of two books: Ancient Iran from the Air, and Excavating an Empire. He has published on various aspects of Iranian art and archaeology, and holds a particular interest in the archaeology of Iranian Empires, from the Achaemenids to the Sasanians, and the history of archaeology in Iran and the Near East. He worked as a curator of Ancient Near Eastern Art at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art from 2006 to 2013. He teaches Iranian art and archaeology at UCLA.
PhD, Near Eastern Studies (Archaeology), University of California, Berkeley (2005)
MA, Archaeology, History, and Languages of Old World Civilizations, Université Lyon II, France (1997)
BA, Archaeology and Art History of Europe and the East Mediterranean, Université Lyon II, France (1996)
- 2016-2018: Research and studies on the site of Pasargadae.
- 2006: Excavation at Pasargadae, Iran.
- 2006: Remote sensing project of the monument known as Zendan-e Suleiman, Pasargadae, Iran.
- 2004: Research on ancient irrigation systems and qanāts in the region of Bam , a UNESCO project.
- 2004: Survey in the plain of Savajbulaq, near Tehran, joint project of the Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization, University of California at Berkeley.
- 2004: Work on the nomination file of the site of Bam for the World Heritage List, UNESCO – Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization project (April 2004).
- 2004: Work on the National Project of Research, Conservation, and Management of the site of Susa, Khuzestan, Iran, in cooperation with the Iranian Cultural and Tourism Organization.
- 2004: Work on the nomination file of the site of Sultaniyeh (western Iran) for the World Heritage List of UNESCO, UNESCO – Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization.
- 2003: Second season of archaeological survey in the plain of Savajbulaq, Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization – University of California at Berkeley.
- 2002: Archaeological survey in the plain of Savajbulaq, region of Tehran, Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization – University of California at Berkeley.
- 2001: Excavation of the early Iron Age graveyard in Shahrud, northeastern Iran, Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization.
- 2001: Archaeological survey in the plain of Savajbulaq, region of Tehran.
- 2001: Participation in the preparation of the Electronic Cultural Atlas Institute, University of California, Berkeley, for preparation of a digital map of the Sasanian Empire.
- 2001: Research on Ernst Herzfeld’s papers, the archives of the Freer Gallery and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- 2000: Work on two nomination files concerning the sites of Naqsh-e Rustam, southern Iran, and Takht-e Suleyman, northwestern Iran, for the World Heritage Centre of UNESCO.
- 1998: Geomagnetic survey and field work at Pasargadae, Iran, for the preparation of the nomination file for the inscription of the site on the World Heritage List, a joint project of the Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organization and C.N.R.S.-Paris
- 1998: Contribution to the nomination of the site of Bāmiyān (Afghanistan) on the World Heritage List of UNESCO as a monument in danger (1998).
- 1998: Research on unpublished reports of the Bronze Age/Iron Age site of Turang Tepe, northeastern Iran, in Paris.
- 1996: Excavation at the Roman temple at Fourvière, Lyons, France.
- 1996: Excavation at the Phrygian site of Gordion, Turkey, University of Pennsylvania – Royal Ontario Museum.
- 1995: Research on unpublished material from the Iron Age site of Khorvin, near Tehran, northern Iran.
- 1994: Excavation at the Neolithic site of Chalain, Ain Valley, France.
- 1994: Excavation at the Gallo-Roman site of St -Romain-en-Gal, Vienne, France.
2018: Survey of Western Art History, Art History I; Art Appreciation: Art 11 (SMC)
2017: Survey of Western Art History, Art History I; Ancient Cities of Iran (UCLA); Iranian archaeology (UCLA)
2016: Survey of Western Art History: Art History 1 (SMC); Ancient Cities of Iran (UCLA)
2015: Ancient Cities of Iran (UCLA); Ancient Iran (UCI); Survey of Western Art History (SMC).
2014: Ancient Iranian Civilizations (UCLA); Survey of Western Art History (SMC)
2013: Archaeology of Ancient Iran (UCLA); Ancient Iranian Civilizations (UCLA); Ancient Armenia (UCI); Survey of Western Art History (SMC).
2012: Ancient Cities of Iran: An Archaeological survey of historical cities and sites of Iran from 4000 B.C. to 1900 (University of California, Los Angeles).
2011: Ancient Armenia and Iran from the Irano-Urartian koine to the early Islamic period (University of California, Irvine).
2010: Ancient Cities of Iran: An Archaeological survey of historical cities and sites of Iran from 4000 B.C. to 1900 (University of California, Los Angeles).
2004: Visiting lecturer of the Archaeology of western Iran and adjacent regions, at the Maison de l’Orient, the University of Lyon, France.
2003: Teaching assistant / lecturer in Art History and Archaeology of ancient Iran in the Free University of Tehran (September-December 2003).
- History of architecture in Iran from Prehistory to the Islamic conquest, Sir Banister Fletcher’s A History of Architecture, 21st edition, London, forthcoming.
- Archaeology and Epigraphy: reflections on some of Xerxes’ inscriptions at Persepolis,The Art of Empire in Achaemenid Persia: Festschrift in Honor of Margaret Cool Root, M. Garrison and E. Dusinberre (eds.), Leiden, forthcoming.
- Medieval Iranians and ancient monuments in Fars: a survey of the epigraphic evidence, Iranica Antiqua, vol. 52, 2017, forthcoming.
- The history of archaeological research in Iran: a brief survey, The Oxford Handbook of Ancient Iran, D. Potts (ed.), Oxford University Press, 2013, pp. 3-16.
- The Central Alborz Region in the Iron Age, in The Oxford Handbook of Ancient Iran, D. Potts (ed.), Oxford University Press, 2013, pp. 392-406.
- Pilgrimage to Pasargadae, Cyrus the Great. An Ancient Iranian King, T. Daryaee (ed.), Afshar Publishing, Santa Monica, California, 2013, pp. 28-39.
- The Sasanian Empire: An Archaeological Survey, c.220 – AD 640, (co-authored with T. Daryaee), in A Companion to the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East, D. Potts (ed.), Willey-Blackwell, 2012, chapter 57.
- Les hauts et les bas de l’archéologie en Iran, La Pensée de Midi, Actes du Sud, 27, 2009, pp. 137-143 (A. Mousavi – N. Nasiri-Moghaddam).
- Late Bronze Age in Northwestern Iran, Iran, vol. 46, 2008,.pp. 105-120.
- Qanats: an early irrigation system in West Asia, Qanats of Bam: A Multidisciplinary Approach, edited by M. Honari, A. Salamat et al., UNESCO Tehran Cluster Office, Tehran, 2006, pp. 87-97.
- Why Darius Built Persepolis?, Archaeology Odyssey, November/December 2005, pp. 22-35.
- Comments on the Early Iron Age Iran, Iranica Antiqua, vol. 40, 2005, pp. 87-99.
- Ernst Herzfeld, politics and antiquities legislation in Iran: 1900-1950, Ernst Herzfeld and the Development of Near Eastern Studies, Ann C. Gunter And Stefan Hauser eds., Leiden-Boston, 2005, pp. 445-475.
- Persepolis in Retrospect: Histories of Discovery and Archaeological Exploration at the Ruins of Ancient Parseh, Ars Orientalis, vol. 32, Ann Arbor, pp. 209-251.
- La région de Téhéran à l’aube de l’âge du Fer: reflexions et commentaires sur les nécropoles du IIe millénaire av. J –C., Iranica Antiqua, vol. 37, 2001, pp. 151-212.
- La ville de Parsa. Quelques observations sur la topographie et le système défensif de Persépolis, Iranica Antiqua, vol. 34, Festschrift David Stronach, 1999, pp. 145-155.
- Early Archaeological Adventures and Methodological Problems in Iranian Archaeology: The Evidence from Susa, Iranica Antiqua, vol. 31, 1994, pp. 1-16.
- Une brique à décor polychrome de l’Iran occidental (VIIIe-VIIe s. av. J.-C.), Studia Iranica, vol. 23, 1994, pp. 7-18.
- Tépé Horreeye, le bit akitu de Tchogha Zanbil?, Contribution à l’histoire de l’Iran. Mélanges offerts à Jean Perrot, edited by F. Vallat, Paris, 1990, pp. 143-145.
- Some Recently Found Column Bases from Central Western Iran, Iranica Antiqua, vol. 25, pp. 165-172.
- Two Bronze Statuettes from Tuzandejan, Khurassan, Bulletin of the Ancient Orient Museum, Tokyo, 1990, vol. 11, pp. 121-134.
- The Discovery of an Achaemenid Station at Deh-Bozan in the Assadabad Valley, Archaeologische Mitteilungen aus Iran, vol. 22, 1989, pp. 135-138.
- Cities and Sites of Ancient Iran, 4000 B.C. to 1900 (Iranian 187)
- Archaeology of Iran (Iranian C163 and C259)
- Iranian Civilizations (Iranian M110A, M110B, M110C)
- Survey of Western Art History, Art History I